It was a pleasure to be part of this rousing discussion with Alkebu-Lan radio and their wonderful listening audience!
PLAYING TRACKS BY
PJ Morton, Prince Fatty & Nostalgia 77 feat. Malcolm X, Terence Blanchard and Freddie McGregor.
Malcolm X, like activists before and after him promoted economic empowerment through initiatives like ‘Buy Black’. Today it’s commonly believed that Black spending as much as trillions of dollars, properly directed can deliver real wealth and self-determination. But Prof. Jared Ball differs, calling “Black buying power” within a capitalist economy a myth: “There is no economic solution to poverty and inequality. Economics is political. We need better politics and organization not fantasies about wealth creation.”
1) Do we have a clear understanding of the legacy of Omowale Malcolm X”?
2) What’s the best to resist misrepresentation of his legacy?
3) Have we confused wealth with “buying power”?
4) Is there any better use we can make of our spending capacity than we do currently?
5) What does “better politics and organization” look like?